The Psychic Counselor

Do you have questions about life changes? Emotional concerns? Relationship issues? Spiritual matters? Send your questions to The Psychic Counselor, Lynda Hilburn, and check back here for your answers. Or you can read through the previous posts (check the Archives) to find answers you didn't even have questions for! LyndaSoul@aol.com. [*LyndaSoul isn't my name -- it's the combo of my first name with the first word in the name of my hypnotherapy training school.]

Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Increasing Her Psychic Abilities

Dear Lynda:
During the past year, I've had some visions -- clear pictures in my mind of places or situations which actually came true in my life.

I think that my psychic energy tries to send me messages or visions frequently, but I don't know how to receive them. Can you tell me how to increase my own psychic powers so that I can be more open to receiving the messages of my inner self?
Dove, Boulder, CO

Dear Dove:
Let's remember that clairvoyance (clear seeing), clairsentience (clear knowing), clairaudience (clear hearing), etc., are normal and natural functions of being human. It's just like intelligence: Most people have I.Q.s around 100, while some individuals score lower or higher. No one is born without some level of intelligence. (Which opens the door to an interesting discussion of "intelligence" vs. "consciousness," but that will have to wait for another time!)

My point is that every breathing human being has intuitive/psychic abilities. Like those with musical talent, some are great musicians, some are average with moments of greatness, and others have to get by with an occasional rendition of "Chopsticks."

Most people, for whatever reason, choose to give little attention to this marvelous intuitive ability, and instead attribute it "out there" to others who are believed to be special or better than they.

The best way I know to increase your access to your own level of ability is to get very still and very quiet. The more time you spend meditating, praying, affirming, daydreaming or staring at the wall, the more you'll be able to dive down into the "field of pure potentiality," as Deepak Chopra calls it, and begin to get familiar with the landscape.

After you begin working with silence and are ready to try out your new muscles, I find that using a tool like the Tarot, the Goddess Amulets, the Runes or experimenting with automatic writing/art, etc., can help to open new doors inside yourself that you didn't even know were there.

Don't make too much of these visions. Perhaps you can write them in your journal and just notice if they manifest. Pay attention to what your unconscious mind is trying to tell you by what it selects to present. It isn't that the visions aren't miraculous. It's just that the everyday is miraculous. We forget that.

I have created a Guided Hypnotherapy CD called "Awakening Your Psychic Abilities," which might also help.
Lynda