The Psychic Counselor

Do you have questions about life changes? Emotional concerns? Relationship issues? Spiritual matters? Send your questions to The Psychic Counselor, Lynda Hilburn, and check back here for your answers. Or you can read through the previous posts (check the Archives) to find answers you didn't even have questions for! LyndaSoul@aol.com. [*LyndaSoul isn't my name -- it's the combo of my first name with the first word in the name of my hypnotherapy training school.]

Sunday, September 25, 2005

Figuring Out Life

Dear Lynda
I am writing to you about myself. I'm 26-years-old, and have recently been trying to figure out my life. I'm not saying that my life is bad. I am very proud of the things I have -- my marriage and my beautiful children. I've been struggling with myself for so long, with bouts of depression and problems I make for myself. I've been trying to get my life organized and on a routine of being a stay-at-home mom. I just feel there is something else that I'm meant to do. I don't know what that is. When I was younger I had visions and premonitions about my life and small events -- like I'm supposed to help people in some way. I used to express my talents through artwork. I can see myself writing books and taking pictures. Even dancing. If I am supposed to be on a path, I have no idea what that path is. My family says I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing: being a wife and mother. But if that was true, I wouldn't have this yearning feeling around me. Is there something else I need to do?
Sabrina, Jacksonville, FL

Dear Sabrina:
I get the feeling that you do a lot of things because other people want you to do them, rather than the desires emerging fully from your inner wisdom. First, being a stay-at-home mom is great. I wish that every child could have the blessing of a full-time caregiver, at least until they enter school. But, that role isn't a good fit for every woman. Or, it may be a good fit for a while, and then not. There is absolutely no reason why you can't pursue your other talents/interests. Taking care of your children doesn't keep you from expanding your own abilities. You do have untapped gifts, and all you need to do in order to invite them to expand is to take baby steps. If you want to write, take 30 minutes a day and write. Or, do your artwork. Or learn an intuitive tool (your intuitive ability shows up strongly for me). No one -- not your husband or your family or anyone else -- can possibly know what your soul's desire is. No one can ever comprehend the lifescript written deep inside you. I believe (from my own experience and experience with clients over the years) that depression is often about resisting a soul urge. About the pressure that develops when a desire comes up against the fear of manifesting that desire. Plus, don't underestimate the role of hormones in creating emotional chaos. You might enjoy Dr. Christiane Northup's book, "Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom." I want to give you full permission to follow your dreams. Following your dreams includes being a great mom. You don't have to worry about that. Another great resource for you might be Esther Hicks. She's a wonderful, uplifting motivational speaker: www.abraham-hicks.com.
Lynda