The Psychic Counselor

Do you have questions about life changes? Emotional concerns? Relationship issues? Spiritual matters? Send your questions to The Psychic Counselor, Lynda Hilburn, and check back here for your answers. Or you can read through the previous posts (check the Archives) to find answers you didn't even have questions for! LyndaSoul@aol.com. [*LyndaSoul isn't my name -- it's the combo of my first name with the first word in the name of my hypnotherapy training school.]

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Feeling the Pain of Others

Hi Lynda: I don't know if you can give me any answers, but I have to ask. I had a rather strange experience in November where I felt 'off' (not sick) all day. I knew my aunt was expected to die within the next 24 - 48 hrs. When I went to bed about 1 am, as soon as my head hit the pillow I was in agony, it felt like someone had put a vice around my head and was tightening it, trying to get my head to explode and there were also huge waves of pain crashing through my head. It finally stopped around 3.30am and I was able to sleep but felt incredibly sad. I was woken by the phone about 8.30 am, my aunt had died a bit after 3 am. What I need to know is if it is possible that I felt her pain, or if my prayers asking for me to take her pain were answered. I've had numerous experiences ever since childhood where dreams have come true and when I just know that something is going to happen. Like when I was supposed to stay at a friends but on the way I had to ask them to take me home as I knew I was going to get a phone call, and sure enough I received a phone call about my Mum within minutes of getting home. Another experience was when I had a dream 2 nights in a row that my ex's car was written off in an accident, I told him about it and two days later he rang me quite shaken to tell me that he had just been in an accident and his car was a write off. I hope you are able to give me some answers or clarification about this.
Regards, K

Dear K: I think it's wonderful that you have such keen skills. My personal feeling is that it isn't necessary for you to actually have painful physical reactions when sensing someone's experiences. You can allow whatever is happening to flow through you -- leaving a clear perception of the problem area -- without having to "take on" the person's agony. As you start to sense a difficult situation, begin imagining and affirming that the person is finding peace. See/imagine/feel a wonderful light filling and surrounding them as you allow yourself to "know" they are transforming in a gentle way. Give yourself permission to take an emotional step back from whatever you are witnessing. When we first have these experiences, they tend to be very dramatic and traumatic. Over time, we can realize that the sensory information can present itself in a much more calm, detached way. Practice makes perfect, so to speak. I think this would be a good time for you to read some books about the techniques other sensitives use to keep themselves grounded and well. The library should provide abundant resources. Ask yourself what you want to do with your abilities. Do you wish to be of service?
Lynda